Problem: A rescue environment created on a Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 system boots into a black or blue screen and hangs. Only the mouse cursor is active.
Cause: The batch file that starts the Paragon environment from the established WinPE environment stops several Windows services. The respective command requires the flag “/y”. This is a change in Windows 10 1709 compared to any previous Windows version.
Solution: Find the file “startnet.cmd”. This file exists only once in the program directory of your Paragon product. Depending on the product it is located in different paths.
Hard Disk Manager 15 SP5:
C:/Program Files/Paragon Software/[product name]/rmb2/winpe_custom_x64/Windows/system32
Backup & Recovery 16:
C:/Program Files/Paragon Software/[product name]/program/winpe_custom_x64/Windows/system32
* Please start the Windows Explorer and change to the folder the file “startnet.cmd” resides in.
* Create a copy of the file “startnet.cmd” for security reasons.
* Load the file into a dedicated text editor like notepad++.exe or notepad.exe. (Word or WordPad are NO text editors.)
* Approximately in the lines 32-34 you’ll find the following commands:
net stop MpsSvc > %WinDir%\temp\log.log
net stop IKEEXT > %WinDir%\temp\log.log
net stop BFE > %WinDir%\temp\log.log
* Please change these to the following by adding the parameter /y:
net stop MpsSvc /y > %WinDir%\temp\log.log
net stop IKEEXT /y > %WinDir%\temp\log.log
net stop BFE /y > %WinDir%\temp\log.log
* Save the file and create a new rescue environment.
Linux RCD: The Linux based recovery environment seems to have the same issue. Unfortunately there is no access to the content possible to solve the problem. Please create a WinPE instead.
Hint: In “/program files” and beyond only administrators are permitted to write. So please rightclick the editor symbol and select “Run as administrator” from the context menu. Then open the file “startnet.cmd” from within the editor.
Hint: The problem affects only “Backup & Recovery 16” 10.2.0 and the Service Pack 5 (SP5) of the “Hard Disk Managers 15”. In “Hard Disk Manager 16” and BR 16 later than 10.2.0 the commands are already changed. Any other Paragon programs (also BR 16 before build 10.2.0) do not support Windows 10 1709.
Hint: The problem should not occur on 32 bit WinPEs.