When trying to mount BootCamp partition using NTFS for Mac 15 or previous versions, there is a message saying that the partition is hibernated and the partition fails to be mounted.
This error is caused, because you hibernated Windows instead of turning it off the normal way.
When you turn off Windows by hibernating it, you are essentially pausing the system and saving all of that information (into a big file called
hiberfil.sys) This way when you resume from hibernation all of your applications and files will be exactly how you left them. It also sets a flag in
hiberfil.sys to let other Operating Systems know that Windows is hibernated.
Making changes to your Windows (
ntfs) partition while it is hibernated could be dangerous – it could cause Windows to not resume from hibernation or to crash after resuming. Because of this, the tool that mounts the partition will not mount it in read-write mode if it sees a hibernation flag.
Turn off Fast Startup.
Please restart into BootCamp and disable Hibernate and Fast Startup following the below instructions:
1. Open the ‘Control Panel ‘ and click on the ‘Power Options‘.
2. Click on the ‘Choose what the power button does‘ link on the left side.
3. Click on the ‘Change setting that are currently unavailable‘ link at the top.
4. If prompted by ‘UAC‘, click on Yes.
Turn off Hibernation using Command Prompt.
Please restart into BootCamp and disable Hibernate following the below instructions:
powercfg -h off
Turn off Hibernation using Registry Editor.
2. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.
3. In Registry Editor, navigate to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
5. Type in 0 and click on OK.
6. Close regedit and restart the computer to apply the changes.