Q: I was asked to use Recovery CD while working with my copy of Paragon product. What is Recovery CD and how should I get, prepare and use it?
A: Paragon Recovery CD is a bootable part of software purchased by you from Paragon Software company. We provide two types of Recovery CD:
1. Default Recovery CD based on Linux
a) For older versions of our software it comes as self burning ISO image with download links of the product or can be downloaded in My Downloads section of My Account.
This refers to Partition Manager 9.0 and older, Drive Backup 8.5 and older, Hard Disk Manager 2008 and older.
As you download the Recovery CD please start the EXE file and follow the instructions of "Unpack and Burn Wizard". One can burn Recovery CD image directly to CD\DVD with "Unpack and Burn Wizard" or extract it to local drive so to burn it later as ISO file with the help of third part software.
b) In newer versions of our software simply run Recovery Media Builder from installed product, it will burn Recovery CD image to CD/DVD or to USB flash drive. You don't have to download this component as individual file. Recovery CD comes as "bootcd.iso" file located in "ISO" subfolder of product installation folder, usually it is "C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\[product name]\iso".
This refers to Partition Manager 10 and newer, Drive Backup 9.0 and newer, Hard Disk Manager 2009 and newer.
2. Advanced Recovery CD based on WinPE
It comes as self burning ISO image with download links of the product or can be downloaded in My Downloads section of My Account. As you download the Recovery CD file please start the EXE file and follow the instructions of "Unpack and Burn Wizard". One can burn Recovery CD image directly to CD\DVD with "Unpack and Burn Wizard" or extract it to local drive so to burn it later as ISO file with the help of third part software.
The differences between Linux based and WinPE based CD are:
- interface. WinPE CD has exactly the same interface as you see in the product installed to Windows; Linux CD provide its own user interface, though it's graphical and Windows-like, and very intuitive
- hardware support: WinPE provides extended hardware support, for example, for RAIDs and network adapters
- customization: WinPE CD has an option "load drivers" which allows to activate common Windows 32-bit plug'n'play drivers for hardware devices (for example, for network adapter) for current boot session
WinPE CD doesn't come with Personal Editions of our products, it's usually supplied with Professional and Server Editions. There are several exceptions though:
- Hard Disk Manager Suite 2008 and 2009 does have WinPE CD
- Total Defrag 2009 and 2010 have only WinPE CD, not Linux one
- Virtualization Manager 2010 has only WinPE CD, not Linux one
To make sure if your copy of the product have WinPE CD or not please check My Downloads section of My Account, list of product features at product's web site or contact Paragon.
To use Paragon Recovery CD one should insert the burnt Recovery CD and restart PC. Set in BIOS boot order settings to boot PC from CD\DVD device. Choose the mode and follow to product menu.
Please look through attached screen shot based examples of using Recovery CD for:
- Partition Manager resize operation
- Drive Backup backup and restore operations
- Recovery CD Getting Started - a quick guide
Important note: here we speak about Recovery CD that comes only with commercial versions. If you own trial or free covermount/promo version, it's not supplied with additional downloads. In this case you'll have a CD that is created with help of Recovery Media Builder Wizard.